Creosote buildup on chimney cap is very dangerous. This highly combustible soot tar mixture is devastating during a chimney fire. Clean it up as soon as possible.
This is an actual customer’s chimney cap completely covered in creosote build up. Years of wood burning without a professional chimney sweep allowed this buildup to happen. It is amazing any smoke or fumes were leaving this chimney at all.
Burning more than a cord or rick of wood a year will develop a creosote buildup left unattended over the years. This tar like substance is very flammable. Cleaning and sweeping this out is NOT a do-it-yourself weekend warrior job. The chimney is often high off of the ground. The roof pitch is not easy to walk on for most people.
Our customers tell us the biggest reason they hire out the chimney inspection and cleaning is fear of heights and their safety. When cleaning the creosote buildup on a chimney cap, our team always wears a 5 point safety vest and safety glasses with cut proof hand gloves.
The best option is completely removing and replacing the chimney cap with a new stainless steel custom chimney cap. Designed, cut, installed and sealed, a new chimney cap will serve your home for decades. Creosote is simply too hard and dangerous to remove completely.